What training polarized in relation to cycling?
The polarized models cycling programs involve spending most of your time is spent in training at low intensity and smaller, but still spent considerable time training with more intensity. Low-intensity here is defined as anything below the lactate threshold cycle and high intensity endurance training performed all over the lactate threshold.
This is different from what has been called the "Threshold models" where a significant amount of time spent in training or anywhere in the lactate threshold intensity mid-range. A polarized training model came to light in recent years, after the work of Stephen Seiler et al.
Why train a polarized model?
It is still unclear exactly why the polarized model seems to be the best choice of the intensity distribution in many endurance sports, but several theories have been put forward as well as anecdotal evidence.
many coaches who were successful with this model agree that the lactate threshold training of over-induced stress is too much, the amount of the athlete's fitness advantage can reasonably be expected to acquire. It is called "blackhole" training, where training is too hard to promote recovery and not tough enough to induce a high favorable adaptations.
This intensity distribution play in the psychology of the athlete. If you just had to "dig deep" and train very intensively for about five one ever training, the athlete will probably feel that training is more manageable and that they are mentally refreshed before they suffer the painful meeting again. By being mentally and physically obtained at the time of the next high-intensity workouts, athletes arguably the most out of these meetings and are less likely to suffer from overtraining or burnout syndrome.
As an endurance athlete, you might want to adopt some or all of the features of the polarized model of their endurance training. Here are some practical ways that a cyclist could deal a proposal
- They increase the overall training time spent time in the rapidly growing low-intensity training (much lactate threshold <2Mml lactate, Zone 1, 2 and 3 heart rate and performance)
- Train lactate threshold intensity of the conservative right time of the season
- Spend more to VO2max intensity interval training time by using repetition ~ 5-8 minutes.
- With an easy day rest and recuperation.
- Learn how to train a meter in order to closely follow up the training intensity for some time-in-zone method.